I invent all of my own lessons. This is one of my favorites! They are so pretty – I love them. I did the project with my 9th period A day class.
- Illustration board
- Metallic acrylic paint
- Fine and extra fine Sharpies
- Prismacolor colored pencils
- Origami paper
- Trace the fan stencil to the center of the illustration board
- Choose a metallic paint color and paint the background using a flat brush.
- Select three or more resource pictures from the Japanese file – these are 18th century woodblock prints, drawings and paintings (of landscapes, portraits, still-lifes) AND contemporary artworks from Takashi Murakami and other artists. Use Scholastic Art magazines, Dover books, old calendars, etc.)
- Draw a composition using a mash-up technique to create a new work of art that looks seamless.
- Outline with Sharpie markers using thick and thin lines.
- Color with colored pencils.
- Add a piece of origami paper to the bottom of the fan. Use a glue stick to attach it.