My Art-8 students viewed the paintings of Canadian artist Daniel Bergeron, specifically, his installation in Regent Park in Toronto.
Then they painted the teachers and staff at our school! The steps were as follows:
- Create an Abstract Expressionist base coat on the canvas.
- Trace a contour line version of the face photograph onto the canvas via graphite paper then paint the lines with black paint.
- Add paint – Abstract Expressionism, solid areas, and patterned areas.
- Using Mod Podge, adhere parts of the photograph onto the painting, as well as some patterned paper.
- Touch ups plus add bits of fluorescent and metallic paints.
This is my sample (above). We used acrylic paint.
Here are the results. They are on display in the school library. I’ve got one more class finishing up tomorrow for a total of fifty-five paintings. So fun! <3